Fall is coming up and do you know what that means?
It’s the perfect time to mix up a big batch of chai tea latte mix to keep on hand for when those chai cravings kick in and you don’t have time to make a chai latte from scratch.
When the weather starts cooling off, there’s nothing I like more than to sip on a hot and deliciously fragrant cup of chai latte.
But…I don’t always have the time or the kitchen space to heat up the milk, get the frother out and do all the things that it takes to make a chai tea latte at home.
That’s when I reach for my trusty chai tea latte mix.
All I have to do is heat some water, pour it into a mug and add a couple of tablespoons of this powdered chai mix.
In just a minute, I’m drinking that warming, spiced black tea that I love so much, and I haven’t had to mess up my kitchen . 😉
This post may contain affiliate links. My full disclosure policy is sort of boring, but you can find it here.
What is Chai Tea Latte Mix?
Chai tea latte mix is a premixed medley of ingredients that you keep on hand in your kitchen for whenever you have a hankering for a chai latte.
When you’re craving a cup of chai latte, just take a couple of scoops of your premade chai tea latte mix, add it to hot water and stir.
At the most basic level, your chai mix will contain:
- Instant unsweetened tea
- Sweetener: white sugar, brown sugar, honey, etc.
- Dry “milk” powder: nonfat dry milk powder, powdered non-dairy creamer, etc.
- Spices – the masala spices that make your mixture spicy and warming.
Spices in Chai Tea
The spices in this chai tea latte mix are the traditional spices you’d find in any chai tea mix:
- Cardamom – This spice is what makes chai spice so distinctive.
- White Pepper
Customizing Your Chai Tea Powder Mix
When you’re making your own chai tea powder mix, you can make just the way you like it. From the level of sweetness, the type of spices and even the type of milk, you’re in charge.
You don’t like ginger? No problem, just leave it out.
Do you like your chai extra spicy? Just add in some more cardamom and white pepper.
Like your drink super sweet? Go for it.
While it is a shortcut that some chai latte fans will turn their noses up at, I love it because it’s not only convenient, but it’s completely customizable.
Chai Latte Mix: The Perfect HomemadeFood Gift
Not only is this recipe delicious, but this mix also makes a super thoughtful hostess and neighbor gift for the holidays.
Mix up a batch, package it up in cute little jars, add an instruction tag and ribbon, and you’ve got the perfect holiday gift for the chai lover in your life!
Recipe for Chai Tea Mix In A Jar
- 2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup french vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, blend until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- If you like, you can add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse several times to pulverize the mix into a fine powder.
- To use, add 3 tablespoons of the mix to a mug and add hot water.
- Stir and enjoy!
- Store finished mix in an airtight container.
You can adjust the sweetness of this chai tea latte mix by adding more or less sugar. You can also replace the sugar with the sweetener of your choice to reduce the calorie content.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:3 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Healthy Chai Tea Mix Recipe
If you have dietary restrictions, you can adjust this to make a healthy chai tea mix recipe by using non-dairy milk, low-fat powdered creamers, low carb sweeteners, etc.
Sandra of Sam Eats Her Nutrients made a Paleo Chai Tea Mix version of this spiced chai powder.