If you’re a fan of bubble tea but also like a cup of coffee, you’re in for a treat! You can mix the two and make coffee bubble tea! In this article, we’re going to learn how to combine the rich flavors of coffee with tea and the fun texture of boba pearls to create a unique and delicious drink.
If you haven’t tried bubble tea (or boba tea) before, it’s a Taiwanese drink that originated in the early 1980s. It consists of black tea or green tea mixed with milk and sweetener and is often served with chewy tapioca balls (the ‘bubbles’ or ‘bobas’) made with starch from the cassava root.
By adding coffee into the mix, we can add an extra kick and depth of flavor that will take it to the next level. So let’s dive in and learn how to make our own homemade coffee bubble tea!
What Is Coffee Bubble Tea?
This unique drink combines two popular favorites, both tea, and coffee, into one delicious concoction.
Coffee bubble tea, also known as boba coffee or coffee milk tea, is a blend of brewed coffee, tea, milk or creamer, sugar, and chewy tapioca pearls made from tapioca starch. The tapioca pearls add an interesting twist to traditional coffee and make it a bit different from your average hot drink!
It’s similar in concept to traditional milk tea with boba but with the added kick of caffeine from the coffee. What you get is a sweet and creamy beverage that’s perfect for anyone who loves both coffee and bubble tea.
This post may contain affiliate links. My full disclosure policy is sort of boring, but you can find it here.
What Ingredients Are Needed for Coffee Bubble Tea?
Let’s talk about the key ingredients for a delicious coffee boba tea recipe!
You can’t have bubble tea without the “bubbles” so let’s start with tapioca pearls, or “boba”. These small and chewy balls are essential to any good bubble tea. They provide a satisfying texture that is unique to this drink.
You can find them at your local Asian grocery store, Asian markets, or online (try Amazon). Boba pearls come in different flavors like matcha and taro but if you’re going for a classic taste then plain boba pearls will do just fine.
This is my favorite brand of boba that I buy on Amazon. They cook in just a few minutes and turn out perfectly every time.
Next up, your milk of choice. This ingredient will add creaminess and richness to your coffee bubble tea. Popular options include:
- whole milk
- heavy cream
- half and half
- skim milk
- oat milk
- coconut milk
- almond milk
- soy milk
- or any dairy or plant-based milk of your choice
- sweetened condensed milk can be used for a variation called Hong Kong style milk tea.
Just make sure it complements the flavor of your cold brew coffee well – different milks will create slightly different flavors.
Use quality coffee as the base of your boba coffee. You can brew coffee using coffee beans and a French press, ground coffee, cold brew coffee, or even instant coffee. Whichever type of coffee you normally use is fine!
A tea bag (such as Earl Grey) brings the tea flavor to coffee bubble tea. Tea leaves can also be used but a tea bag is the quicker, easier option. I think the stronger tasting teas like black teas stand up better against the coffee, but you really can use whatever tea you like.
Sweetener is optional, but most people choose to sweeten coffee bubble tea with either sugar or syrup.
I find that since coffee has a distinct flavor, sweeteners with a stronger taste are a great compliment. My favorites are brown sugar syrup or maple syrup.
Just like with milk choices, there are many ways to sweeten your bubble coffee recipe:
- maple syrup
- simple syrup made with coconut sugar
- brown sugar syrup – linked to my recipe
- simple syrup – also linked to my recipe
- granulated white sugar or brown sugar
If your boba are already sweetened you may decide to leave the extra sweetener out altogether.
Don’t skimp on quality when choosing your ingredients because better quality really does make for a better taste!
How To Make My Coffee Bubble Tea Recipe Step By Step
Coffee Bubble Tea is a perfect blend of coffee and tea. This unique beverage combines two beloved drinks into one, creating a delicious flavor that makes an interesting change to the classic favorites.
Since this drink is best served over ice, you can save some time by making your coffee and tea mixture the night before and chilling well in the fridge.
- Start by brewing strong coffee using your preferred method. Chill well or overnight.
- Next, heat the milk, stir in your sweetener of choice, and add a tea bag. Steep for at least 5 minutes until you’ve got a good strong flavor (you want to maximize the tea flavor so it won’t be overpowered by the coffee!). While the tea brews, it’s time to prepare the boba pearls. The cooking process for boba is simple!
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and add about 1/4 of dried boba. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. The cooked boba pearls for your coffee bubble tea can be stored for a short time in an airtight container until ready to use. But they really don’t keep long, so it’s best to make them right before you need them.
- Place cooked boba in the bottom of a tall glass, add about a tablespoon of sweetener, stir, and allow to soak up the sugary mixture for a few minutes.
- Add ice cubes to the glass and gently pour in the cooled coffee and milk tea mixture. Sweeten as desired.
- Enjoy your homemade boba coffee recipe with a fat boba straw like these below.
Coffee Bubble Tea
This delicious coffee bubble tea recipe is super easy to make with chewy boba pearls, tea, milk, and coffee. The kick of caffeine is the perfect delicious afternoon pick me up.
- ½ cup uncooked tapioca pearls
- 1 cup water (for boba)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar syrup or sweetener of choice
- 2 teabags (strong black tea blends like Earl Gray work well )
- 1 cup full fat milk (or other dairy or plant based milk of your choice)
- 1 cup strongly brewed coffee, chilled
- Add boba and 1 cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Check chewiness in 2½ to 3 minutes.
- Remove immediately from hot water, dunk quickly in cold water, and drain.
- Add cooked boba to brown sugar syrup and allow to soak for several minutes.
- Heat milk, add tea bags, and allow to steep for at least 5 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature or refrigerate to cool.
- Assemble: Split boba between two tall glasses, add ice cubes. Split cold coffee and chilled milk tea mixture between the glasses.
- Adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Enjoy with a wide boba straw!
- Use your favorite milk: dairy or plant based.
- Use any type of tea you like, either tea bags or loose leaf.
- Use your favorite sweetener: brown sugar syrup, maple syrup, simple syrup, etc.
- Save time by making your tea-milk mixture and coffee ahead and refrigerating. Unfortunately boba pearls don't keep well, so don't make those ahead.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Trans Fat: 0gFiber: 0g
Nutrition figures are estimates. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information for any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe.
Need a pick me up? Try this coffee bubble tea recipe!
All in all, this easy-to-follow recipe for coffee bubble tea boasts a unique flavor combination that’s sure to please your taste buds. Enjoy the sweet and creamy flavors of the milk tea along with the smooth, bold taste of coffee.
The chewy tapioca pearls add an unexpected and satisfying texture that will keep you coming back for more.
If you are new to boba drinks and want to try one out for yourself for the first time, local bubble tea shops or even ordinary coffee shops may serve boba milk tea, boba latte, or delicious milky coffee with sweet boba added.
Or use our coffee milk tea recipe with some Earl Grey, ground coffee (or coffee beans), and your favorite type of milk to brew up your own bubble coffee. Throw in some instant tapioca pearl cooked boba and you’ll be making pearl milk tea for your friends and family in no time!